As of July 2022, Magic Leap 1 and Magic Leap One Creator Edition devices cannot be updated over-the-air. If your device is running an older operating system version (anything below Lumin OS 0.98.35), it'll need to be updated to continue to communicate with our cloud and connected services. We encourage all users to update their device to Lumin OS 0.98.35 using our new Magic Leap 1 Device Flasher tool.
Downloading an OS Image
The Magic Leap 1 Device Flasher requires that you to download an OS image from our Developer Portal.
- Visit the OS Image Download page
- Select Lumin OS 98.35 version corresponding to your device type
- If you have a Magic Leap One Creator Edition, select 0.98.35 (ML1CE)
- If you have a Magic Leap 1, select 0.98.35 (ML1)
- Enter your device's serial number
Note: If you get an error saying no OS Image found, you may have selected the wrong OS version for your device type. If you get an error for both versions, please contact us.
Using the Magic Leap 1 Device Flasher Tool
Devices can be flashed by going to https://ml1-flash.magicleap.cloud/. Note: The Magic Leap 1 Device Flasher is only officially supported for use with Google Chrome.
When the page is first loaded, it will look like this:
On the left-hand side, click the "Connect" button:
This will prompt Chrome to display a dialog listing devices plugged into your computer, like below.
Select the option the option that says "fastboot" and click "Connect". You should now see the following on the left side of the page:
Click the "One-Click" square in the middle of the page. The page will change, showing instructions on how to flash the device. Upload the fastboot image you downloaded in the Downloading an OS Image section, and follow the instructions to flash your device. The instructions are available on the Magic Leap 1 Device Flasher page, but we're including them here as well:
Before you start: Ensure your Magic Leap 1 and Control are both at a charge of 35% or greater. To check Lightpack charge, rest a finger on the Lightpack power button. To check Control charge, connect Control power cord.
- Go to the Lumin OS Download Page
- Download Desired Build Version to your computer
Note: Users should download 0.98.35 and above
The build is about 3Gb. Download times will vary based on your network speed
contact Customer Care if you receive this error “Sorry, failed to generate an OS image: The device serial number is invalid.”
- Boot device into Fastboot mode
- Turn your Magic Leap device off by pressing the power button down for 8 seconds (all LEDs will shut off).
- While holding the volume down button
- Press and release the power button
- Then release the volume down button.
- If you have done it correctly - An animated blue line will be visible on the Lightpack.
- If any other lights are displayed - You probably turned it on; it is easier if the device is not plugged in while doing this step as charging lights might be confusing.
- Once you are in fastboot mode, connect the Magic Leap 1 to your computer using a USB-C to USB-C cable. Note: If your computer has both USB-A and USB-C ports it is recommended to connect to a USB-A port using a USB-C to USB-A adapter.
- [OPTIONAL] If more information is needed see below:
- Select `Connect Device` in the left navigation bar
- Select `Fastboot` from the list of available devices
- Select the Lumin OS Build Zip that was downloaded in the `Pre-Flashing Steps`
- Press the `Flash Device` button
- After successfully flashing your device, you must now flash your Control.
Once the process is complete, the page will inform you your device is successfully flashed. Congratulations! Your device is now up-to-date.
Flashing Your Device via MLDB
You can flash your device to Lumin OS 0.98.35 manually. For more instructions, visit our Developer Portal. Note: You may flash directly from your current OS version to 0.98.35.