We’re excited to announce that Spotify is now live on Magic Leap World. Harnessing the power of spatial computing, this is the first app of its kind to bring your favorite bands and artists to life in the world around you, in ways never before possible.
Here are the steps to set up Spotify on your Magic Leap device.
1. In order to use Spotify on your Magic Leap, you must have already configured a Spotify account.
If you do not already have an account, please visit https://www.spotify.com/us/premium/ to sign up today.
2. Customers must download the Spotify app from ML World.
Spotify is currently only available in the US.
- Launch Spotify from the Launcher
- The user will be greeted with a ‘Welcome’ screen.
Press ‘Next’ to continue
- The user will now be taken to the PIN screen.
On a phone, tablet, or PC, go to www.spotify.com/pair. If not logged in, then the user will first need to login. If already logged in, then the user will be taken to the Pairing screen. Enter the PIN/pairing code and press ‘Pair’.
- In the browser window on the phone, tablet, or PC, the user will be prompted with terms & conditions. If agreed upon, press ‘Pair’ again. The browser window will now show that pairing was successful.
- On ML, the user will now briefly see a ‘Congratulations’ screen acknowledging that pairing was successful.
- The ‘Congratulations’ screen will automatically transition into the ‘Control’ tooltip.
Aim the cursor at a horizontal surface. If the surface is valid, the cursor will be an arrow cross. If the surface is invalid, the cursor will be a ‘no’ indicator (red circle with a slash). If the user tries placing the menu on an invalid surface, the menu will be locked to the cursor until the user aims and presses the bumper on a valid surface
- At this point, the menu is placed and the user can enjoy the Spotify experience
Components / Features:
‘Recently Played’ ⇒ The top row of content contains the user’s recently played albums, playlists, and artists. You can scroll the ‘Recently Played’ row by clicking on the arrows, or swiping left / right on the touchpad of the Control. To select content, point the cursor at one of the covers and press the trigger. Users can place albums, playlists, and artists on walls to start association music with locations, or just to leave around as decoration. To place the content:
- Point the cursor at the cover and hold the trigger to grab the content
- Point the cursor at a valid surface and release the trigger to place.
Note, if the trigger is released when pointing at an invalid surface, the placing will be canceled and the user needs to grab the cover from the ‘Recently Played’ row again
Once the content is placed, pointing the cursor at the cover will reveal two options: a play/pause button and an ‘X’. The play/pause button allows the user to quickly play/pause those albums, playlists, and artists. The ‘X’ will remove the cover from the environment. The user can move the cover by pointing the cursor at the cover and holding the trigger - releasing the trigger will place the cover.
‘Carousel’ / Controls ⇒ The carousel will have covers for the previous, current, and next songs. The song and artist title for the current song is provided for the current song and the progress bar. The user will have the following controls:
- Play / pause
- Next / previous
The user can swipe right / left on the touchpad of the Control while pointing at the carousel or press the next/previous
There are two repeat options: repeat a song and repeat a playlist
- Favorite and unfavorite a song
- Scrub the progress bar to specific times
‘Recommended for you’ ⇒ These albums, playlists, artists, and songs are recommended by Spotify’s algorithms based on the user’s music. Pointing the cursor at a cover and pressing the trigger will play that album, playlist, artist, or song. There are three ways to scroll the rows of content:
- Point the cursor at the front cover and hold the trigger. Move the control forward and back to scroll through. Release the trigger to stop scrolling
- Point the cursor at the front cover and tap the top and bottom of the touchpad on the Control
- Point the cursor at the front cover and swipe up or down on the touchpad on the Control
The progress bar above each row will update as the user scrolls forward and back through the content.
Tooltips ⇒ There are three tooltips in the application. The tooltips for ‘Recently Played’ and ‘Recommended for you’ explain how to interact with the content and are represented by the pulsating question marks. Pointing the cursor at the question mark and pressing the trigger will open the tooltip - once dismissed, the question mark will be hidden. The third tooltip is prompted when the user first exits the application and explains the Magic Leap Background Music Service. Each tooltip is only displayed once per installation.
Control Spotify music using a phone, tablet, or PC ⇒ When the user is logged into the same Spotify premium account on a phone, tablet, or PC, music playback can be controlled by these other devices while still listening to music on Magic Leap. Users can create a playlist or search for a song from one of these other devices without interrupting the listening experience on Magic Leap. This also allows users to control music playback on Magic Leap without having to relaunch the Spotify app.
Background Music Service and Overture ⇒ Spotify takes advantage of the Magic Leap Background Music Service. This allows music playback to continue across the platform while the Spotify app is closed or in the background. Overture is a pre-installed Landscape application that allows users to control the Background Music Service playback from the Landscape. Overture provides users another way to control music playback from the Landscape without having to relaunch the Spotify app.